The Day My Heart Broke in Bali

April 23, 2012 14 Comments

A short scooter ride through the back streets of Seminyak I made a visit to the YKPA Orphanage.

Decrepit and run down, I couldn’t begin to imagine what life would be like for the 24 children who through no choice of there own now call this place home.

As I walked through the doors armed with supplies of rice, lollies and colouring in pencils for the kids I was a little amazed as to how happy and grateful these children seem. It is quite confronting to think of how much I have by comparison yet still manage to complain.

If these kids can smile with nothing I have no reason with all the love that I have to be ungrateful!

Many of these kids have come from the streets where they have had to survive by begging for either a boss that gives them a space to sleep at night or even their families, who send them out to make money.

And sadly some of them such as a four week old baby have simply been disowned due to poverty.

My heart broke the moment I noticed the little baby laying in her bassinet. I had to walk outside to fight back the tears as I could’nt comprehend how a mother could leave her 4 week old daughter but without judgement… maybe there was no choice.

I nearly brought her home with me!

YPKA is a Indonesian non-profit organization which has been helping  these children since 2007. They give loving support, education and skills to have a greater opportunity in life in a safe and caring environment.

In a perfect world I would love for you visit YPKA on your next trip to Bali. Donations are ofcourse always needed but as I learnt while I was there…they need RICE…and always do!

If you aren’t able to pick up and food for them that is ok too as these beautiful children also very crafty and make some gorgeous things for you to buy.

What ever you can do will be greatly appreciated. Without such amazing people as the YPKA these children would not have a future.

Experienced by The Bali Bird

Tags: , , , , , , , Indonesia
14 Comments to “The Day My Heart Broke in Bali”
  1. Senaf says:

How heartbreaking to see children being left out in the streets but thankful to see that they have a loving place to stay at. Thank you for the post.

2. Idelish says:

Heartbreaking indeed. Thanks for bringing awareness to the plight of these children. We have not yet visited Bali but will make sure that we make a stop at the orphanage when we do step foot in Bali!

3. eva hamori says:

If people like you didn’t bring light to these topics we wouldn’t know about them.

4. Very heartbreaking. I’m with you — it would have been difficult not to want to take that child with you.
    When we travel, we get a glimpse of someone’s life for a day or a week and it’s hard not to look at it without judgement but we must or feel badly for their situation. We’ll never know how that mother felt to have to part with her child.
    Sad, isn’t it, how in some places good food’s thrown away every night and in others, people long for the basics? What kind of world are we living in?
    Thanks for sharing this. I’ll send some rice.
    Marcia

5. olivia says:

you have a big heart mel. ill pass the blog on, with so many friends and family that visit bali im sure some would appreciate knowing of this orphanage.

6. Lauren says:

Oh Mel you’re an Angel!
    This story makes me feel as though I walk this earth with blinkers on and somehow miss what someone like you has seen. I will make more of an effort.

L

7. Dan says:

To have spent time there Mel you truly have a warm heart and thankyou for sharing this story. The more that know of these situations the better. I will spread the word!

8. Laurel says:

This is so heartbreaking, but reassuring to know that their spirits haven’t been broken.

9. jenjenk says:

it’s times like these that I realize i have nothing to complain about in my life…

10. Jols says:

Hi mel,
    What is the address of this place in seminyak? Can anyone visit? Do you need any permission. Thanks

11. Mel says:

Hi Jols,
    They would love for you to visit!
    The address is-Yayasan Kasih Peduli Anak
    Jln Gn Payung no 23
    Br Umadui, Denpasar

It is not far from Seminyak at all.I am heading back to Bali in 2 weeks and will be dropping in there myself to see these little Angels…

Please let me know how you go.
    Mel

12. Adam says:

Hi Mel I’m going to visit this week. Is rice the best donation?

13. Mel says:

Hi Adam,
    I hope you get this in time. I have been a little unwell and not checking my site.
    They would love for you to donate rice to them! No matter how many other things they may have they always need rice. It take quite a lot of rice to feed them all you could say.

Anything you could do they will love Adam.
    Please let me and readers know how you go.

Send my love to the kiddies!

14. Brigitte says:

Hello visiting in September 2013. Never been to Bali before would like this to be one of the first spots to visit. What age are the children? Any other practical items other than the rice to take eg toiletries ,toys education supplies